A delicious homemade strawberry and macadamia muesli with pieces of dehydrated strawberry and toasted macadamia nuts.
Good muesli sets your wallet back a bit in the supermarkets. The box always looks a decent enough size but what’s actually inside the plastic is a whole lot less. So for the price you pay… You’re definitely better off making your own.
I love that homemade muesli (or granola) is so adaptable. If you’ve got a basic base down, any flavourings can be added.
It’s also a great way to keep track of the ingredients in the muesli and know that what you’re eating is the good stuff! Today’s flavour is made up of tart, chewy dried strawberries, gently roasted macadamia nuts, a hint of vanilla and a toasted oat base.
A scattering of sunflower seeds and shredded coconut for a little texture, coconut oil, coconut sugar, salt and that’s it.
No nasty artificial flavours, preservatives or hidden numbers.
Chopped, dried strawberries are the star of this muesli. They’re little, tart, flavour explosions.
The best thing is that they can be made from the bruised or older strawberries you might not want to eat fresh anymore. You know the ones. In the heat of summer you go strawberry picking and everyone leaves behind those certain few bruised strawberries.
They’re chopped into small pieces and dehydrated. You can use your oven or a dehydrator and it takes about 6-9 hours at about 60-65 degrees Celsius ) The end result is delicious!
I activate my seeds and nuts first before adding them to the muesli. This reduces the phytic acid and makes it easier to digest.
After they have soaked for a few hours, I let them dry out in the dehydrator alongside the strawberries.
Feel free to skip this step if you like.
The macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut and oats are combined with coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt, then gently toasted in the oven.
Once toasted and cooled, the strawberries are added.
And that’s it! So simple but so delicious.
Any dried fruit in muesli is amazing, for my next one I’m thinking peaches, cinnamon, and almonds.
Have you made this? Tag me and let me know! @home_grown_happinessnz
Strawberry and Macadamia Muesli
- 2.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts or nuts of your choice
- 250 g strawberries finely diced and dehydrated
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Finely dice your strawberries and dehydrate in an oven at 60-65 degrees Celsius, or a dehydrator for 6-8 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, sunflower seeds, chopped macadamia nuts and shredded coconut.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil, add in the sugar, vanilla, and salt and give a quick whisk. (It’s fine if it doesn’t come together well.)
- Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread out on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes at 170 degrees, giving it a little stir every 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it to cool and then add in the strawberries.
- Serve with milk, plant mylk or yoghurt of your choice