Soft sourdough chocolate chip cookies made using a cup of sourdough starter and ordinary cookie dough. It makes the most deliciously soft and buttery cookies.
I love these sourdough chocolate chip cookies. But the question isn’t, ‘who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip cookie,’ because, everyone does of course.
The real questions are, are you team ‘Crunchy Cookie’ or ‘Soft Cookie?’ I’m definitely a soft chocolate chip cookie kinda gal and these sourdough chocolate chip cookies do not disappoint! They are so soft, almost cake-like, buttery and delicious.
The base of the cookies consist of butter, eggs, brown and white sugar, vanilla, salt, baking soda, flour and chocolate chips. The baking soda reacts with the starter and leavens the cookies so they’re puffed up and proud.
The initial dough will be very sticky so it needs to be chilled for an hour before you can roll the cookies out into balls. They won’t flatten in the oven once they’ve been chilled so if you want them a little flatter, push the dough balls down with a fork.
Don’t skimp on the chocolate chips in this recipe! Good quality, real chocolate bits are the best. You totally want a mouthful of both the buttery base and the creamy chocolate every time you take a bite…
Do you have more discard starter to use up? Why not give this sourdough pastry a go next?
Soft Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar (100g)
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar (110g)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour (300g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup discard sourdough starter (150g)
- 1 1/2 cups good quality chocolate chips
- In a saucepan on the stove, or in a bowl in the microwave, melt the butter. Add in the sugars and egg and mix well. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda and combine well. Stir in to the butter mixture.
- Add in the sourdough starter and stir well but don’t over-mix. Stir through the chocolate chips.Let the dough chill in the refrigerator for an hour until stiffened.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Roll the dough into golf ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet. The cookies will puff up in the oven, so if you want them smaller, press it down with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Have you made these? Tag me and let me know! @home_grown_happinessnz