A creamy cashew-based vegan korma with sweet zucchini and tender potatoes.
This creamy cashew-based vegan korma uses zuchinni and tender potatoes.
A korma, like most curries is one that has no particular recipe. Everyone has a different way to make it. Some use cream, some use yoghurt. Some just use water. Mostly they’re made with a meat.
Today I am using some of the zucchini glut I’ve got going on to make this vegan korma.
First, the onions are fried. Slowly, over medium heat until they’re sweet and caramelised.
Then onions, fresh ginger, garlic and spices are added and sautéed. Frying off the spices like this avoids that ‘raw’ spice flavour you get if you add spice in too late.
Cashews are pre soaked in water, then blitzed up alongside the onion mixture to create a sauce. This sauce is then returned to the pan along with the potatoes and a little lemon juice and salt, to cook until nearly tender.
Once the potatoes are nearly tender, but not quite, the zucchini is added alongside some coconut cream. Then it’s gently simmered until the zucchini is soft.
Throw in a handful of chopped coriander and chopped cashews and a little more salt to taste and it’s done!
I’ve used zucchini and potatoes this time but it’s excellent with all sorts of vegetables such as cauliflower, sweet potato (a kumara korma!), carrots, pumpkin, squash…
Serve with rice, naan or roti.
Have you made this? Tag me and let me know! @home_grown_happinessnz
Vegan Zucchini and Potato Korma
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground chili
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cm ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 2 medium potatoes diced into 2cm cubes
- 2 medium zucchini diced into 1 cm pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews
- In a bowl, soak the 1/2 cup raw cashews in 1 cup of water.
- In a large saucepan, heat up oil and add in the onion and fry for 10 minutes, on medium heat. Keep stirring and let the onions caramelise.
- Add in the garlic, ginger Garam Masala, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, chilli and ground coriander. Fry for a further 5 minutes. If the spices start to stick, add a little more oil.
- Add the onion mixture and the cashews in water to a blender and blitz up to make a sauce.
- Return the sauce to the pan alongside the potatoes, salt and lemon juice and cook on medium heat until the potatoes are almost tender. If the sauce is evaporating too quickly, add in a bit more water.
- Add in the zucchini and the coconut cream to the pan. Cook until the zucchini has softened.
- Stir through chopped fresh coriander, chopped toasted cashews and add a little more salt if necessary.
- Serve with rice, naan or roti.