Celebrate summer with this healthy and delicious zucchini and green pesto pizza. Garden greens are blitzed with garlic, lemon and olive oil to create a flavourful base. Zucchini is thinly sliced and added on top along with pine nuts. It’s roasted until golden brown, then topped with fresh mozzarella.
I’m finally harvesting decent zucchini which means a zucchini glut will be mere days away. Not to worry though, finding ways to use up zucchini is one of my favourite past times!
I’ve made a simple pizza base, the same dough as I use in my beetroot pizza, except instead making a few thin base crusts I’ve made on one thick and fluffy base. If you have the time, a sourdough base would be excellent too.
My favourite part of this pizza is the garden green pesto. It’s not a traditional pesto but it’s ridiculously simple and versatile, just use whatever edible greens you’ve got! Right now I’m using Kūmara leaves, but you can use spinach, silverbeet, cauliflower leaves, even the leaves of the zucchini (and other squash and pumpkins.)
To the greens I add lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt, black pepper, Parmesan and a generous helping of olive oil.
The pesto paste is spread on the pizza and it is topped with thinly sliced zucchini and pine nuts. Then it’s baked in the oven until the base is a deep golden brown and the zucchini slices have shrivelled and shrunk.
Once the hot pizza is removed from the oven, large chunks of fresh mozzarella are laid on top and left to soften for a few minutes.
Zucchini and Green Pesto Pizza
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 g instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup warm water
- Extra flour for dusting
- 1 cup packed fresh greens silverbeet, spinach, kumara leaves, squash leaves…
- 2 handfuls fresh basil
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 1 small-medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp pinenuts
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g fresh mozzarella
- black pepper and salt
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and stir to combine.
- Pour in the olive oil and water and use a fork to combine it into a shaggy dough.
- Tip the dough on a floured bench and knead for around 5 minutes until the dough ball is smooth. Place it in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave it to rise in a warm place for around 45 minutes.
- In a small food processor, combine the garden greens, basil, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper and olive oil. Blitz into a rough paste. Set it aside.
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Once the dough has risen, tip it out onto a lightly floured bench. Roll it into one large circle (around 5mm thick) and transfer it onto a baking tray.
- Add on the greens pesto and spread it out on the base, leaving a 1/2-1cm of border.
- Layer on the zuchinni slices and sprinkle on the pinenuts. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the zucchini with the 1/2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Bake the pizza for 20 minutes until the pizza base is a deep golden brown and the zuchinni slices have shrivelled and shrunk.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and add on chunks of fresh mozzerella. Sprinkle with a little more black pepper.
- Serve hot.