This flavour-packed pumpkin cake is so moist and delicious. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds give it texture and it’s topped off with a zesty lemon & cream cheese icing.
I’m nearly through my own measly pumpkin stash this year but luckily I have good friends around me who share their hauls, more than enough to make this yummy spiced pumpkin cake.
If you’re a fan of a carrot cake, you will LOVE this pumpkin cake. It’s got lots of grated pumpkin and grated apple in there and it makes the crumb so soft and tender!
In the batter you’ll find pumpkin-loving spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
Texture is brought to you by the humble pumpkin and sunflower seed. My children’s school is nut-free so this a perfect substitute.
Then little pops of chewy sweetness are added with raisins.
I bake this cake in one 23 cm round cake tin (and slice it in half to ice it), but you can easily bake this in two cake tins instead. You’ll need to adjust your baking time though when splitting the batter into smaller tins.
Once baked, let it cool completely before icing it. Pop it in fridge to cool it down faster. Then it is iced with a zesty, lemony, cream cheese icing. I sprinkle some extra seeds on the top for decoration.
This cakes stores very well in the fridge, for up to 5 days. I prefer it straight from the refrigerator as opposed to the pantry. It stays deliciously moist and flavourful.
Have you made this cake? Tag me on Instagram @home_grown_happinessnz. I love seeing what you make!
Pin for later
Spiced Pumpkin Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 200 grams grated pumpkin (about 2 cups)
- 100 grams grated apple (1 cup, about 2 medium apples)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 medium eggs
- 200 ml oil
- 150 grams soft brown sugar (3/4 cup, packed)
- 110 grams white granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sunflower and pumpkin seeds (mixed)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 300 grams all purpose plain flour (2 cups)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp baking soda
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 200 grams block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 80 grams butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, fan-bake. Grease or line a 23cm round cake tin
- Grate the pumpkin and apple and place in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and mix to cover. Set aside
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, spices and baking soda and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil until thick and combined. Add in the raisins and seeds.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold them well with a spatula until they are combined and no patches of unmixed flour are left.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 55-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool before icing.
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until thick and creamy.
- Add in the icing sugar and lemon zest and beat on low until just combined.Switch the beater to high and beat for 4-5 minutes until light and thick.
- Spread onto the cooled cake and decorate with extra sunflower and pumpkin seeds.