This flavour-packed pumpkin cake is so moist and delicious.
Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds give the pumpkin cake texture and it’s topped off with a whipped cream cheese frosting.
If you’re a fan of a carrot cake, you will love this pumpkin cake. It’s got lots of grated pumpkin and grated apple in there and it makes the crumb so soft and tender!
In the batter you’ll find pumpkin-loving spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
Texture is brought to you by the humble pumpkin and sunflower seed. My children’s school is nut-free so this a perfect substitute.
You can totally switch these out for nuts though if you wish, like walnuts or pecans or hazelnuts.
I bake this cake in one 23 cm round cake tin (and slice it in half to ice it), but you can easily bake this in two smaller cake tins instead. You’ll need to adjust your baking time though when splitting the batter into smaller tins.
Once baked, let it cool completely before icing it so the whipped frosting doesn’t melt. Pop it in fridge to cool it down faster.
I ice it with a whipped cream cheese frosting, and a sprinkle of extra seeds on the top for decoration.
Have you made this cake? Tag me on Instagram @home_grown_happinessnz. I love seeing what you make!
Pin for later
Spiced Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 200 grams grated pumpkin (about 2 cups)
- 150 grams grated apple (1 cup, about 2 medium apples)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 medium eggs
- 200 ml oil
- 150 grams soft brown sugar (3/4 cup, packed)
- 110 grams white granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sunflower and pumpkin seeds (mixed)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 300 grams all purpose plain flour (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp baking soda
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 200 grams block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 150 grams icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 400 ml pouring cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, fan-bake. Grease or line a 23cm round cake tin
- Grate the pumpkin and apple and place in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and mix to cover. Set aside
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, spices and baking soda and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil until thick and combined. Add in the seeds.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold them well with a spatula until they are combined and no patches of unmixed flour are left.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool competely.
- Once cooled, slice the cake in half.
- Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon zest together until smoothy and creamy.
- Add in the pouring cream and beat low until just combined, then switch the mixer to high.
- Beat it until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half the frosting onto one cooled cake half and add the other half on top. Finish with the rest of the frosting. Decorate with seeds.
- This cake stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.