This flavour-packed pumpkin cake is so moist and delicious.
Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds give the pumpkin cake texture and it’s topped off with a whipped cream cheese frosting.
If you’re a fan of a carrot cake, you will love this pumpkin cake. It’s got lots of grated pumpkin and grated apple in there and it makes the crumb so soft and tender!
In the batter you’ll find pumpkin-loving spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
Texture is brought to you by the humble pumpkin and sunflower seed. My children’s school is nut-free so this a perfect substitute.
You can totally switch these out for nuts though if you wish, like walnuts or pecans or hazelnuts.
I bake this cake in one 23 cm round cake tin (and slice it in half to ice it), but you can easily bake this in two smaller cake tins instead. You’ll need to adjust your baking time though when splitting the batter into smaller tins.
Once baked, let it cool completely before icing it so the whipped frosting doesn’t melt. Pop it in fridge to cool it down faster.
I ice it with a whipped cream cheese frosting, and a sprinkle of extra seeds on the top for decoration.
Have you made this cake? Tag me on Instagram @home_grown_happinessnz. I love seeing what you make!
Pin for later
- 300g (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 200 ml oil
- 150g (¾ cup) soft brown sugar
- 110g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 cups grated pumpkin, packed
- 1 cup grated apple, packed
- ¼ cup sunflower and /or pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 200 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 150 g icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 400 ml pouring cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease or line a 23cm round cake tin
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, spices and baking soda and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and oil until thick and combined. Add in the raisins, seeds, grated pumpkin, apple and lemon juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold them well with a spatula until they are combined and no patches of unmixed flour are left.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove the cake from the tin and leave it to cool competely.
- Once cooled, slice the cake in half and make the icing.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon zest together until smoothy and creamy. Add in the pouring cream and beat low until just combined, then switch the mixer to high. Beat it until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half the icing onto one cooled cake half and add the other half on top. Finish with the rest of the icing. Decorate with seeds. This cake stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 586Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 12gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 7g