Tender and buttery, this sweet, spiced apple loaf is packed with juicy apple pieces and topped with a sweet cinnamon glaze.
I have an amazing amount of apples to get through at the moment. My focus lately has been coming up with new and delicious ways to use them up, such as this spiced apple loaf.
Last week I turned a whole lot into simple, sugar-free apple syrup. It’s been wonderful to drizzle over our porridge on the cold autumn mornings we have been having.
Now I wanted something I could enjoy as a treat AND pack into the lunchboxes for the kids. This delicious apple loaf is the perfect solution.
It’s buttery, moist and tender and packed with juicy apples. The mix of spices in the loaf remind me of warmth as the days and nights are getting colder.
It’s a loaf that’s super easy to put together and a great one to get the kids involved with too.
Have you got an abundance of apples? Let me know how you’re using them up!
Have you made this loaf? Tag me on Instagram @home_grown_happinessnz. I love seeing what you make!
Spiced Apple Loaf with Cinnamon Glaze
- 2 small apples (or one large) chopped into 1cm cubes
- 120 grams unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (100 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (225g)
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature (125ml)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan-bake (365 F). Line a 18×9 cm loaf tin.
- In a bowl sift together the spices, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.Stir in the chopped apple pieces
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture, along with the milk. Fold it all together but don't over mix it. It will be a very thick batter.
- Spoon into the lined loaf tray and bake for 45-55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.Lift the loaf out of the tray and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Mix together the icing sugar and cinnamon, and just enough milk to create a smooth and pourable paste. Drizzle the glaze over the loaf.