A thin-crust pizza topped with sweet roasted beetroot, caramelised onions with cumin seed, salty feta and fresh rosemary
Who’s a beet fan? I love it ! Especially on this roasted beetroot pizza. Pre-roasting them a little caramelises the edges so it takes on a lovely sweet flavour.
I also love growing beetroot in the garden in spring. It’s a great crop to sow while you wait to plant out your summer vegetables. It doesn’t take too long to grow so it works as a delicious gap filler.
If you keep sowing every 2-3 weeks through out spring and summer, you can have a continuous harvest for many months.
Beetroot are a worthy crop in any garden as the entire plant is edible. Even in the shady spots in my garden, where the roots are slow to establish, I can still harvest the young beet leaves. The leaves are full of vitamins like beta- carotene.
This pizza has layers of roasted beets, sweet caramelised onions spiced with cumin seeds, salty crumbled feta and a fresh pop of rosemary.
It’s a little different from your usual tomato and cheese pizza, but it’s so fresh and yummy!
Have you made this? Tag me on Instagram @home_grown_happinessnz. I love seeing what you make!
Roasted Beetroot Pizza
- 2 cups high-grade flour
- 8 grams instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup warm water
- Olive oil for brushing
- Olive oil
- 800 g beetroot
- 2 large brown onions
- 3 tsp cumin seeds crushed
- 150 g feta cheese
- 4 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and stir to combine.
- Pour in the olive oil and water and use a fork to combine it into a shaggy dough.
- Tip the dough on a floured bench and knead for around 5 minutes until the dough ball is smooth. Place it in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave it to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Tip the dough ball onto a floured bench and cut into 4 even pieces.
- Roll out one piece into a circle, 3mm thick. Place on an oven tray and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes until bubbles puff up and the base is a very light golden brown. Remove from the oven and continue with the rest of the bases.
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Scrub the beetroot and remove the tops and bottoms.
- Slice each beetroot into 3mm slices and arrange on an oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake the beetroot for around 15 minutes until the edges are caramalising. Remove from the oven once baked.
- While the beetroot is baking, peel and slice the onions into thin slices.
- Heat a pan with olive oil on medium heat and add the onions. Slowly cook the onions with a pinch of salt, for around 10-15 minutes, until they are translucent, brown and caramalised. In the last few minutes of cooking, add the cumin seeds.
- To assemble the pizza, distribute the beetroot slices amongst the bases, spacing them out evenly.
- Cover the beetroot with the caramalised onion.
- Crumble over the feta cheese and fresh rosemary.
- Bake the pizzas at 180 degrees Celsius for 5-6 minutes until the edges of the feta cheese start to brown.
- Serve warm.