Light and creamy ricotta, tangy lemon and glazed strawberries combine to make a delicious dessert in this Lemon and Ricotta Tart.
I love ricotta in desserts, give me a ricotta cheesecake over a cream cheese one any day! I like the texture ricotta gives. It’s not exactly smooth but it’s still so light and creamy. Pairing it with a zesty lemon is an obvious choice. Adding glazed strawberries on top? Well it’s the icing on the cake isn’t it!
The base is a sweet almond crust, which makes this a gluten-free tart. I’ve used almond meal as opposed to the ground almonds that come from blanched almonds, because when I make my own almond meal I don’t peel my almonds and I like the specks of colour it gives the crust.
The almond base is par-baked, but it’s given an eggwhite wash beforehand. This is to avoid the base getting soggy once the liquid filling is poured in.
The filling is eggs, lemon zest, and juice, sugar, and ricotta. The ricotta gives it a creamy but light texture and it’s the kind of tart you can eat a lot of. If you like a smoother and more luxurious texture, substitute the ricotta for mascarpone cheese.
This mixture is poured into the par-baked base and baked again for about 20-25 minutes until the mixture is set but not overcooked. A slight wobble when the tart tin is shaken is perfect.
Once the tart has cooled, it’s decorated with sliced strawberries and glazed with a simple lemon glaze. This heightens the taste of the strawberries a lot and really makes them stand out.
The tart is best chilled before serving. Imagine this on a hot summer’s day.
- 2 1/2 cups (225g) almond meal
- 2 Tblsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter,melted
- 1 eggwhite
- 3 eggs
- 300g ricotta (or mascarpone)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons (60ml)
- 120g sugar
- 250g strawberries, sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix together the almond meal, sugar, salt, vanilla and butter to make a ball.
- Press into a 23 cm tart tin.
- Brush the base with an eggwhite and prick it with a few holes using a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes, leave to cool for 20 minutes, then start the filling.
- Mix together the eggs, ricotta, lemon zest and juice and sugar. Pour into the cooled base.
- Bake in a 170 degrees C oven for 20-25 minutes until just set. Leave to cool.
- Heat the lemon zest, juice and icing sugar for 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the tart has cooled, decorate with strawberries and brush over the glaze.
- Chill for an hour before removing the tart tin.
- Best served cold.
Pin for later