Sweet, salty caramel popcorn with fragrant, fresh rosemary pieces.
This salted caramel and rosemary popcorn is such a treat. Rosemary and caramel make a delicious combination.
I think you will LOVE this salted caramel and rosemary popcorn. A friend of mine first introduced me to the concept of rosemary with caramel.
I love caramel corn in general but when you add rosemary to it, it’s so so good.
This salted caramel is a very simple one, no corn syrup needed. It’s brown sugar, butter, baking soda and salt.
Usually corn syrup is added to caramel corn to stop the caramel going gritty. Gritty caramel is avoided in this recipe by first melting the brown sugar in water, before adding all the other ingredients.
In a saucepan, brown sugar and a little bit of water are combined and brought to a simmer until all the sugar has dissolved.
A spatula is helpful to scrape the sides of the saucepan and remove the sugar that’s accumulating on the sides. Push the sugar back down into the pan.
Once the sugar has properly melted, butter is added in and melted together. Once it’s all melted a little baking soda is added, along with salt. The baking soda will make it bubble and foam. It will help the caramel corn become crispy once it’s baked.
Then some chopped fresh rosemary is added in and it is poured liberally over plain popped popcorn.
Everything is tossed together to combine, and then it’s baked for around 15 minutes in a low heat oven. Stir the popcorn every 5 minutes to ensure even baking.
Once baked, let it cool and crisp up.
Serve with another sprinkling of fresh, chopped rosemary leaves.
Want more rosemary recipes? Try my lemon and rosemary yoghurt cake!
Have you made this? Tag me and let me know! @home_grown_happinessnz
Salted Caramel and Rosemary Popcorn
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp water
- 60 grams butter, cut into pieces room temperature
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 6-8 cups freshly popped popcorn
- Preheat the oven to to 140°C (284°F).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and the water. Bring to a simmer. Keep stirring until all the sugar has dissolved, and use a spatula to scrape down the sides to ensure no sugar is crystallising on the edges of the pan.
- Once the sugar has completely melted, add in the butter pieces and stir until dissolved. Simmer it for 30 seconds before adding in the baking soda and the salt. It will bubble and rise.
- Take off the heat and stir through half of the chopped rosemary.
- Spread the popcorn out on a large baking tray.
- Drizzle the caramel over top and toss it all together with a fork to cover the popcorn with caramel.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Once baked, let it cool and crisp up.
- Once baked, sprinkle over the remaining fresh rosemary and serve.