This apple fennel slaw makes a simple and refreshing side salad.
It has crispy apple, sweet fennel bulb and spring onions. Topped with pecans for added texture and tossed in a zingy lemon dressing.
This apple fennel slaw is like THE easiest salad to whip together and it's so fresh and flavourful.
It is -
- Fresh - No cooking involved for any of the ingredients.
- Healthy - Raw veggies and fruits bring a heap of vitamins
- Full of flavour
- Texture- This fennel slaw is full of texture. Raw apple and fennel bulb are both crispy and fresh. The apple brings juiciness too. Pecans add a slight crunch.
- Flavour - The fennel brings a sweet aniseed flavour, and the fennel fronds do too. Apple brings sweetness, though how much can be controlled by the apple variety you choose. Spring onions bring a little bite to cut through the sweetness. The dressing is flavourful too with zesty lemon, caramely maple syurp and a warming touch of dijon mustard.
- Timing - This salad won't take long, esepecially if you have a mandoline to thinly slice evrything. Thin slicing is key to the slaw. If you don't have a mandoline, the apple and vegetable can be grated or sliced super thin by hand. This salad is great to make ahead too.
Salad substitutions and additions
There are ingredients you can add or swap out to suit what you like/have.
- Swap apples for pears
- Swap pecans for walnuts, almonds or nuts (or seeds) of your choice
- Add in shredded carrots for extra colour and vitamins
- Swap maple syrup for liquid honey in the dressing.
- Substiture the fennel with shaved celeriac. The flavour profile will change though, but celeriac makes a wonderful slaw too.
Have you made this? Tag me and let me know!
More salad ideas
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 large apple
- 2 spring onions
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- Using a mandolin or knife skills to thinly shave the fennel bulb into thin slices. Roughly chop or tear the fennel fronds.
- Core and slice the apple and chop into thin matchsticks. Slice up the spring onions and roughly chop the pecans. Add all the ingredients to a salad bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake them together to combine. Taste and add more salt or sweetness as needed.
- Drizzle it over the salad ingredients and toss it together to combine. This salad can be made a couple of hours ahead of time or served straight away.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 323mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g